Sunday, September 05, 2004

The Road to Discovering The Captive Mind

Roger points to a most excellent blog entry: "My Road To Damascus". Here's the incontrovertible proof you need to RTWT:
So I began too to see deeper flaws in those sureties I had so long accepted. I began to sense, or perhaps at last to admit to, inherent contradictions at work in the machine in which I had once placed so much faith. The leftist catechism denounced the United States government as inherently corrupted and beyond repair, and the solution had been to hand massive swaths of the American society and economy over to the control and regulation of the state; in other words, the United States government. It extolled civil liberties but proposed a collectivist creed which fundamentally negated the individual. It claimed to oppose concentrated, monopoly power but proposed to concentrate it to a degree unprecedented in American history. There seemed no connection whatever between these ambitions, and I began to suspect that the entire formulation was ultimately nothing more than an expression of the will to power; that the first had been concocted merely to enable the second.
Now don't get me wrong -- the prose and sweep certainly can't touch The Captive Mind -- but it's an authentic and moving piece. What? You haven't read The Captive Mind? Click that link and order, giddy-yup! The only known antidote to the Pill of the Murti-Bing I tell you...