Saturday, November 15, 2003

Pictures of Peace

Remember the quote from Pastor Niemoller on the holocaust?
First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
Pastor Martin Niemöller




This is what it looks like in Turkey today after the synagogue bombings that seem to have once again killed more Muslims than Jews or Americans. At least there is some evidence the Turks may get it:
A shopkeeper near the site of one of the explosions had this to say:

"Muslim, Christian, Jewish, people are people. Today it's them, tomorrow it could be me."
It's a worldwide civil war folks -- both within the Muslim world and within the West. Those who cynically mouth words of condolences at attacks on peaceful people -- much less relief organizations -- while secretly harboring hatred and ill wishes for the West need only look in the mirror to see what corruption looks like...