Thursday, July 14, 2005

Torture Time Warp Redux

Came across this work of art letter to Glenn and realized it's just too good not to savor:
Leave it to a bunch of lawyers to get all tangled up in the Theory of Torture without addressing the facts on the ground. The ONLY previously proscribed interrogation techniques that have been sanctioned at the highest levels of our government post 911 are coercive in nature and specifically not intended to do bodily or psychological harm. Sleep deprivation, loud music, kneeling, withholding blankets. THIS is torture? Nowhere in any of your recent posts or links on the issue do you even qualify the many allegations of torture as being simply about these techniques of creating discomfort. Nor do you nor any of the linked legalists cite any case of actual physical torture. Abu Ghraib was an aberration. If anything, the internal memos produced during the Abu Ghraib “exposes” and erroneously cited as existence of a “smoking gun” showed that Rumsfeld et al were intent on keeping the threshold at the discomfort level. And about that Abu Ghraib “torture”, I can only hope that my Jihadi captors subject me to live sex shows while cloaking my head in a woman’s panties. Then if they would only put in solitary for a few minutes I could work out my frustrations about their horribly coercive techniques in private. If you know what I mean. And I think you do. Margaret Hassan was shot in the head, de-limbed, beheaded and disemboweled (not necessarily in that order). I think our non-Geneva captives can sustain a little Barry Manilow. [Emph mine]
On net, Glenn gets a well deserved "I told you so".

I remain totally amazed at the complete lack of historical understanding that has become de rigeur in the world today. It's even gotten to the point where someone you'd think would have a clue on this topic like John McCain spouts off nonsense about how we should be nice nice to the beheaders so they'll treat special forces or civilian CIA in hostile territory nicely when they capture them.

Well, for the 15 seconds before the nihilists dig out their eyeballs with spoons. LOL

More on this later...