Saturday, September 23, 2006

More Consequences of 9/11?

Well this is interesting from Dallas:
"When one of the mothers saw him and asked Burke what he was doing, he tried to run and the woman started screaming, said Elizabeth Williams, the mother of another child. According to a police report, Burke said about 15 men "jumped him and hit him repeatedly on the face with their fists." He suffered minor injuries, police said.

At least four children saw the nude pictures, police said. Burke was arrested on suspicion of harmful display to a minor.
"
Why do I find this interesting?

I was sitting on the plane yesterday next to a man who of all things decided to watch "United 93" on his laptop. My first thought was that he certainly wasn't superstitious (at least we weren't flying United!). Then through the course of the movie, I found it more and more irresistable to shift from the work I was doing to watching the movie as the focus shifted to the action onboard the plane -- you really didn't need the sound much though now I know I need to really watch it for that aspect.

As I chatted with him a bit as we landed I finally realized that it's really not just a movie about events on an airplane -- it really should be made available to passengers on a free channel as in-flight training for the post-9/11 world! As I told him, it was people like us on the plane that would have to react as the real last line of defense if -- as the Islamofascists so often do -- they "return to the scene of the crime". Everyone who thinks more than a few minutes a day realizes this with or without movies like this of course.

Ironically, as I left home for the trip I had accidentally left a pocket knife in my carry-on -- which doubles as my briefcase -- and had it confiscated by security! So negative stories about TSA to the contrary, the good guys will be unarmed.

And maybe now there are higher odds of an air marshall being on the plane to help, but we have to assume we'll have nobody to help us. It will be "vigilante justice" if we succeed.

So was this little incident in the park a consequence of the new 9/11 mentality? Or just why none of the 9/11 flights originated in Texas?