Monday, May 12, 2008

Got It

When Jeffrey Goldberg interviews Barack Obama, the candidate offers some reassuring statements, like this...

When I visited Ramallah, among a group of Palestinian students, one of the things that I said to those students was: “Look, I am sympathetic to you and the need for you guys to have a country that can function, but understand this: if you’re waiting for America to distance itself from Israel, you are delusional. Because my commitment, our commitment, to Israel’s security is non-negotiable.”

... but then out of the blue he offers this:

JG: Do you think that Israel is a drag on America's reputation overseas?

BO: No, no, no. But what I think is that this constant wound, that this constant sore, does infect all of our foreign policy. The lack of a resolution to this problem provides an excuse for anti-American militant jihadists

The security of the "constant wound" and "constant sore" that "infects" our foreign policy is non-negotiable. Got it.