Sunday, August 17, 2008

The (Sadly) Irrelevant

clipped from www.nytimes.com

As a Lebanese-Christian immigrant who spent her girlhood amid the bloody
devastation of the Lebanese civil war, you have lately emerged as one of the
most vehement critics of radical Islam in this country. Are you concerned that
your new book, “They Must Be Stopped,” will feed animosity toward
Muslims?
I do not think I am feeding animosity. I am bringing an issue to
light. I disapprove of any religion that calls for the killing of other people.
If Christianity called for that, I would condemn it.

What about all the moderate Muslims who represent our hope for the future?
Why don’t you write about them?
The moderate Muslims at this point
are truly irrelevant. I grew up in the Paris
of the Middle East, and because we refused to read the writing on the wall, we
lost our country to Hezbollah
and the radicals who are now controlling it.