Saturday, June 19, 2010

Edison Retrieved

clipped from www.timesunion.com

In one of the recordings, Edison spoke about the creation of the incandescent light bulb on its 50th anniversary.

In his remarks for "Edison Light's Golden Jubilee" program on Oct. 21, 1929 in which he shared the stage with Hoover and Ford, Edison offered a stirring, emotional oratory even though he was nearly completely deaf and in declining health. He died two years later, nearly to the day, at 84.

"I am told that tonight my voice will reach out to the four corners of the world," Edison said, his voice squeaky and thin, as he occasionally stumbled and lost his place. "It is an unusual opportunity for me to express my deep appreciation and thanks to you for the countless evidences of your good will. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.