Sunday, October 10, 2004

Projection 101: Bad Faith Stickers Out

Before this post gets rolling, you need a refresher on my “Sinful Soapbox: The Local Root Cause”. Here’s the first paragraph to get you enough context to go on (but please read the whole post – it’s one of my favorites):
As I was slowing for the stoplight, I noticed that the car in front of me had a “Defend Freedom, Defeat Bush” bumper sticker from MoveOn.org sloppily taped to the inside of the back window. Ah yes, it’s almost election time and the swing voters might remember leftists in a negative light this November if “Bush = Hitler” bumper stickers keep proliferating. Time to fake center.
Well, this one is going to make your sides hurt so much you may never forgive me! Here we go…

As I was pulling out of church this morning with the boys on our way to get Grandma for a lunch date, I was quickly trapped behind a Jeep at the stoplight with a bumper sticker that read “Bush Is A Moron – And You Know It”. Déjà vu all over again I immediately began to think. Even more amazing, it was in nearly exactly the same place at the same light where I saw the “Defend Freedom, Defeat Bush” bumper sticker a few weeks back.

Then, since we were still right next to the church I noticed that the Jeep’s occupants seemed to be craning their necks and looking at the people and activity that the break between services was generating. The light turned green. Were they making snide comments and laughing at us church-going dim bulbs? No way to tell for sure.

They kept looking. The cars in front of them were gone. And looking. Not moving, that is. Did I mention the light was green?

So I honked for Jesus at the morons.

OK – I’ll wait until you scrape yourself off the floor. And don’t say I didn’t warn you about that pain in your sides.

Of course, the real reason – as was illustrated by my prudential decisions about avoiding dangerous inattention at speed in “The Local Root Cause” -- was keeping the boys safe by avoiding being rear-ended.

But I do know Jesus loves me when I honk for him. And I’ll be voting for W as will anyone who remembers more history than last week. I’m not sure if Jesus is smiling right now at this sinner. I suspect W’s sides would be hurting right now though if he had read this!

And how can I possibly be qualified to identify morons with my tiny little brain? I only have a Mensan IQ and a Master’s degree. In future, I’ll leave it to the experts that drive Jeeps.

But I’ve studied enough psychology over the course of many years to understand what psychological projection is. And large swaths of the left are textbook practitioners of it.

They project a brutal stream of bad manners and personal attacks – while incredibly accusing those of us who practice the golden rule (and also work hard to train our children to do so) of being simultaneously rude, stupid and Machiavellian.

And they project bad faith – possibly because they have no faith themselves.

Unless you’re counting faith in the “Church of the Left” that is.

POSTLUDE: "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"
- Matthew 7:3 (You did follow that link defining projection didn't you?)