Friday, July 25, 2008

The Audacity Of Hopelessness

Many observers said my position would end my hopes of becoming president. I said
I would rather lose a campaign than see America lose a war. My choice was not
smart politics.


Senator Obama told the American people what he thought you wanted to hear. I
told you the truth.

Fortunately, Senator Obama failed, not our military. We rejected the audacity
of hopelessness, and we were right. Violence in Iraq fell to such low levels for
such a long time that Senator Obama, detecting the success he never believed
possible, falsely claimed that he had always predicted it. ... In Iraq, we are
no longer on the doorstep of defeat, but on the road to victory.

Senator Obama said this week that even knowing what he knows today that he
still would have opposed the surge. In retrospect, given the opportunity to
choose between failure and success, he chooses failure. I cannot conceive of a
Commander in Chief making that choice.


That recitation of Obama's conduct is entirely factual.