Saturday, September 06, 2008

Even If I Want To Take Them Away?

So he tried again. “Even if I want to take them away, I don’t have
the votes in Congress,’’ he said. “This can’t be the reason not to vote
for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen
back there. I’m not going to take away your guns.’’


Oh, I think they heard the words coming out of his mouth.  But maybe they have also captured the flavor of all the other words and flip-flops, especially with the recent Supreme Court ruling on the Washington DC gun ban.  Here is Jacob Sullum at Reason:

Obama's past positions on gun control and recent statements about gun rights provide little reason to believe he takes the Second Amendment seriously. And as I've argued,
it's hard to see what meaningful restrictions the Second Amendment
imposes on gun control if something like the D.C. law can pass
constitutional muster.