Sunday, January 17, 2010

Not Too Far Off?

clipped from www.latimes.com
The movement has continued to pick up speed since then. This month, a diplomat at an Iranian embassy in Europe openly told me that the time of "justice and freedom" is coming. His time scale was "the next few months." This would have been an extraordinary statement for a loyal servant of the Islamic Republic to make anywhere, much less in an embassy reception hall, which is probably bugged.

"The disillusionment within the regime is sometimes stronger than the disillusionment of the ordinary people, because these are people who had traveled outside Iran, to Europe, and knew a different level of life,"
There was nothing random about my friend's electronic glasnost. When I wrote back asking what he had done while I was in jail, I got back a one-line plea to allow him "an opportunity" in the future to explain. Perhaps this opportunity is now not too far off.