Sunday, January 09, 2005

Today's Religious Quotations

Here are some of the great quotes I've recently run across -- or been coming back to regarding religion:

"A true opium of the people is a belief in nothingness after death -- the huge solace of thinking that for our betrayals, greed, cowardice, murders, we are not going to be judged." -- Czeslaw Milosz

(By the way, please read David Warren's column just linked to. And if you start it you have to promise me that you'll finish it -- for you'll be rather challenged by the last three paragraphs but possibly dismissive if you abort before reaching them. As for any possible relationship of Warren's experience to me, let's just say that I have been born again -- but any stereotyped conception of what that means in my case would be way too simple. As it is likely for most...)

"An egg which came from no bird is no more natural than a bird which had existed from all eternity." -- C.S. Lewis (NOTE: This is actually a CORRECTION from the version that I had listed here. My memory was foggy but at least I didn't get the semantics wrong :)

"The god of Islam requires you to give your son to die for him. The God of the Bible gave His Son to die for you." -- Unknown from Franklin Graham's "The Name"