Saturday, November 08, 2008

A Sponsor Of Hope N Change


KROFT: No feeling of guilt?

Mr. SOROS: No.

KROFT: For example that, 'I'm Jewish and here I am, watching these people go.
I could just as easily be there. I should be there.' None of that?

Mr. SOROS: Well, of course I c--I could be on the other side or I
could be the one from whom the thing is being taken away. But there was no sense
that I shouldn't be there, because that was--well, actually, in a funny way,
it's just like in markets--that if I weren't there--of course, I wasn't doing
it, but somebody else would--would--would be taking it away anyhow. And it was
the--whether I was there or not, I was only a spectator, the property was being
taken away. So the--I had no role in taking away that property. So I had no
sense of guilt. 
(George Soros, 60 Minutes interview transcript,
December 20, 1998)

And not just the re-education camp kind of change.