Thursday, August 27, 2009

COTD: Seeing Through The Lies

I just finished another summer of teaching some of the executive program MBA’s here in Boston and came away with some of the learning that I always hope to gain from my students while I work to teach them. My second “section” this summer was 30+ students mostly 28-35 years old. Once again the awareness of the Asian students, both Indian and Chinese, stood out loud and clear, and while I had the pleasure as always of a dozen or so very capable, hard-working Americans, it is the Asians who seem most willing to accept, undertake and complete the painful academic slog that I put them through.

They seem better equipped to deal with the circumstances of the world around them, and they don’t need the lulling of feel-good to get on with their work and lives

and they use their time learning and not complaining nor feeling that they are the proverbial victims.

Maybe it’s in part the ability to see through the lies to the eventual truth and recovery that helps them get the most out of each day.