Monday, October 20, 2003

Department of Redundancy Department

At some point hateful bigots become self-parodies. I suppose I could learn to laugh at this if they didn't have such a strong tendency to instantiate their words -- usually sooner rather than later. Here's the Malaysian Prime Minister again (Hat tip to Drudge):

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad says his comments about Jews during a speech at an Islamic summit last week, which prompted harsh criticism in the West, had been taken out of context.

``In my speech I condemned all violence, even the suicide bombings, and I told the Muslims it's about time we stopped all these things and paused to think and do something that is much more productive. That was the whole tone of my speech, but they picked up one sentence where I said that the Jews control the world,'' he told Bangkok Post in an exclusive interview yesterday, which covered aspects of his 22 years as leader of Malaysia, as well as his straight-forward views on terrorism, democracy and US policy.

Dr Mahathir added, however, that ``the reaction of the world shows that they [Jews] do control the world''.
[Emphasis added.] Go back and read the speech again -- he does make good points -- if you want to call them that -- that Muslims need to modernize if they want to take on us nasty Jews. Well, if I was one. Umm, maybe if I take off my tinfoil hat it will lessen their control over me. Come to think of it, the top of Mahathir's head does seem a bit shiny in that picture...