Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Not Exactly a "Fisking"...

But well worth the read from Michael Totten. Michael does a nice job of explaining that there's a whole lot more to the world than Bush haters and Clinton haters. There's lots of room for civilized disagreements on policy between left and right -- and the idea of treating either as static, simple or monolithic is one of the few "great mistakes".

The only good thing about hate is that it makes the haters suffer and waste their lives -- a small morsel of justice at least...

UPDATE: A reader response on Totten's site is kind of a fun read on the "labeling thing":

The whole thing is kind of stupid and is a way of the far left wing to label the supporters of the war. Its the same kind of demonization of saying you're a "zionist".

What the hell does any of it mean?

1) I support the war
2) I do believe we didn't plan well for the aftermath
3) I support reconstruction there fully
4) I support the State of Israel and believe the reason there is not peace and a right wing government is Arab Rejectionism, fluffed up any way you want it. Arafat wants a state or quasi statehood without making any final peace or concessions, he doesn't want a final agreement that will end the conflict.
5) I don't give a shit about Leo Strauss or Pat Buchanan or Jerry Falwell.

I know what I believe in and what I think. And anyone who thinks Hitchens is a Conservative in any sense of the word is delusional or that Trotskyites morphed into this. The "Trotskyites" or "Marxists" today are the most wacko fervent critics of Bush, America and Israel, I've been to their speeches. And Hitchens is a Marxist through and through except he's got some fucking common sense, on the almost Hitleresque oppression that was going on in Iraq.

Totten likes to somewhat wax poetic about Hitchens as a kind of lefty saint. Hitch is just a controversial, opinionated Marxist with some common sense, a British accent and a propensity to drink a lot of whisky.

If you want to read some reasonable Marxists, check Norman Geras's blog.

The whole labeling thing and history makes me somewhat nauseous to tell you the truth and panders to the Indmediaidiots that label the 'secret' "neo-con Jewish cabal" that planned out the making of history.

Mike
What's that you say? There's a link to Norman Geras on my blog? And links to Hitchens? Could it be that I like people who use their brains and not just people who always agree with me? Nah...