Friday, March 21, 2008

Bad-Ass Stereotyping -- Whoops!

clipped from isteve.blogspot.com

Obama then proceeds to make stereotypical assumptions about young black males:

"I start picturing myself through the eyes of these boys, a figure of random authority, and know the calculations they might now be making, that if one of them can't take me out, the four of them certainly can."

The chapter ends:

"The engine starts, and the car screeches away. I turn back toward my apartment knowing that I've been both stupid and lucky, knowing that I am afraid after all."

Shocking, isn't it?

Most of the effort that goes into my Obama posts consists of my editing out the excess verbiage with which Obama padded his endless autobiography. To make this incident comprehensible, for example, I left out hundreds of intervening words of vintage Obama posturing about what a bad-ass he had been when he was the same age