Saturday, March 07, 2009

Gramscian Damage (Part 825,386)

James Madison said, "We base all our experiments on the capacity of mankind for self government."

This idea -- that government was beholden to the people, that it had no other source of power -- is still the newest, most unique idea in all the long history of man's relation to man. This is the issue of this election: Whether we believe in our capacity for self-government or whether we abandon the American Revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capital can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves.


I know how I and many of my friends would answer that. But I'm not one-hundred percent confident I can answer that question for a growing portion of America today, including among some of our youngest voters. Do they still teach the American Revolution straight up in public schools today? I hope so, but, again, I'm just not sure.

I wish I was sure. And I hope to be pleasantly surprised.