Saturday, April 19, 2008

On Wrench Worship

As a practicing biologist, I find evolutionary theory to be exceedingly useful.  It's a very powerful tool.  But it has, unfortunately, sometimes been used in negative ways, in particular as an alternative to God.  I find this philosophically silly; no scientific theory can tell you ultimately where the laws of nature came from, why we're here, etc.  So I have some sympathy with the many evangelicals who are uncomfortable with evolutionary theory.  On a philosophical basis, I am a creationist, in the broad sense of the term, meaning that creation is the result of God's work.  Exactly how he accomplished that is another issue, and I'm open to whatever science can establish as actual historical record.
But in the final analysis, evolutionary theory is just a useful tool.  If I was an auto mechanic, a wrench would be an indispensable tool of daily use.  But I wouldn't worship it because of that utility.