Sunday, September 20, 2009

Unaccountable

clipped from www.nydailynews.com

Obama's popularity hasn't tumbled because he's black. It's tumbled because he has come to represent Washington instead of those who sent him there.

I know this because of a 6,400-person interview survey I conducted for my new book "What Americans Really Want ... Really." I sat down to write this book, conduct the poll and insisted that the second "really" be included in the title because I was fed up with opinion elites who ascribe opinions to Americans that simply do not exist.

The real reason why 72% of the people I interviewed say that they're "mad as hell and they're not going to take it anymore" has nothing to do with racism. No, their rage is about a lack of accountability, a lack of respect, and a lack of progress in the nation's capital.

Let's start with the absence of accountability, because that ranks No. 1 in the hearts and guts of the average American.

according to the book survey, only 33% of Americans think their kids will have a better quality of life than they have.